Tudor Hall School is one of the oldest girls’ boarding schools in Britain. Founded by the Rev. T.W. and Mrs. Todd in 1850, it started its life in their home in Forest Hill, south London. From the first it offered an intellectually stimulating and challenging education with distinguished professors visiting the School as lecturers.
In 1908, the School moved from London to more spacious, rural accommodation at Chislehurst in Kent. It was there, in 1910, that Nesta Inglis became a pupil. Years later, when the school nearly “died” in 1935 (it closed down for one term), it was Nesta Inglis who came to the rescue, re-opening it on 1 October (the School Birthday). She began to nurse it back to life and health, moving it to Burnt Norton, near Chipping Campden, on the outbreak of war in 1939.
The war years at Burnt Norton proved to be happy and successful, positively inspired by the problems and restrictions of war time. The School grew roots in the area, and the family atmosphere – always a feature of Tudor Hall – was intensified by the fact that some of the girls, with their parents, remained at Burnt Norton during the holidays to escape the air raids; so there was much “bonding” between children, staff and parents.
Burnt Norton was too small to provide a permanent home for Tudor Hall. In 1943 Nesta Inglis came across Wykham Park, and in February 1944 the purchase was completed, though it was not until January 1946 that the School actually moved from Burnt Norton.
As well as the main building and “Old House”, in 1943 Wykham Park comprised two lodges, a bungalow and four other cottages, all set in 46 acres of attractive grounds rolling away towards the south and west.